SKYPE “STAY TOGETHER” CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Skype “Stay Together” contest will operate. This will be referred to as the “Contest” throughout these rules.
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Skype Communications S.a.r.l. 23-29 Rives de Clausen, L-2165 Luxembourg, the Sponsor of the Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant. Visit http://www.worldtimeserver.com/ or other time server to determine local time.
This is a skill Contest and the theme is “Stay Together.” The object is to best describe how you use Skype to stay in communication with faraway family and friends.
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (“PT”) on June 20, 2013 and ends at 11:59 pm PT on July 22, 2013 (“Entry Period”).
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at the time of entry:
- You are a legal resident of the 50 United States (includes D.C.) 18 years of age or older at the time of entry (“Entrant”); and
- If you are 18 years of age but are considered a minor in your legal residence, you must ask for your parent / legal guardians permission to enter
- You are NOT an employee of Skype Communications S.a.r.l. (“Sponsor”), or their respective parents, subsidiaries and agents; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of an employee of the Sponsor
- This Contest is void outside the geographic areas described above and wherever else prohibited by law. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.
Sponsor reserves the right to conduct a background check on the potential Grand Prize Winner and reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any person based on such background check if Sponsor determines in its sole discretion that awarding the prize to such potential Grand Prize Winner might reflect negatively on Sponsor.
HOW TO ENTER / ENTRY CRITERIA
To enter, do all of the following during the Entry Period:
- If you have not already done so, register for a free Skype ID and Password. You will be asked to provide your Skype ID during Contest registration.
- Create an original essay in which you describe how you use Skype to stay together in communication with family and friends, and why you should be chosen to be featured in the next Stay Together story.
- Optionally, prepare a digital image of yourself for which you have rights or permission to submit.
- Visit www.skype.com/staytogether and follow instructions to register and submit your essay and optional photo into the Contest.
The registration information you provide along with the essay and optional photo will collectively be called your “Entry.” While the entry form requests information about what Skype services you use, the inquiry is for informational purposes only and does not affect eligibility or judging.
By entering, you agree that your Entry meets the following technical and content criteria:
- Must be your own original work.
- Must be in English, or accompanied by English subtitles or script for English speaking judges.
- Cannot have been submitted in any other prize promotion.
- Optional photo must only be of the person submitting the Entry, must be in .jpg, .gif or .pdf format and may not exceed 2MB in size.
- Cannot include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people). However you may include Microsoft and Skype trademarks, logos, and designs, for which Microsoft grants you a limited non-commercial license to use for the sole purpose of creating and submitting an Entry into this Contest.
- Cannot contain, as determined by Sponsor, content that is sexually explicit, violent, derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, which violates any law, or which communicates a message inconsistent with the positive good will to which we wish to associate.
Limit one Entry per person. You may not create multiple accounts using multiple identities to gain more than the entry limit. By submitting an Entry you agree to these Official Rules and confirm your Entry conforms to the Entry requirements.
We are not responsible for Entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for Entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason. We will at our sole discretion disqualify any Entry received in excess of the Entry limit and any Entries not meeting the Entry criteria.
By entering the Contest and/or submitting an Entry, you hereby grant Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free, perpetual, sub-licensable and transferable license of all rights to use, edit, modify, include, incorporate, adapt, record, publicly perform, display, transmit and reproduce such Entry for any purpose including editorial, advertising, publicity, promotion, marketing, trade and/or other commercial purpose, in any and all media now known or hereafter created, including, without limitation, print, television, and online via any Skype website, third party distribution channels or otherwise, without your prior approval and for no compensation. In addition, you waive any so-called “moral rights” in and to your Entry, to the extent permitted by applicable law. By entering you further agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for Sponsors and its designees to make use of the rights you granted.
Without limiting any other terms of these Official Rules, if an Entry does not meet the criteria set forth herein, Sponsor may disqualify and discard the Entry either immediately or at any time during the Contest. By entering the Contest, you acknowledge that Sponsor may obtain other submissions, content or materials that are similar or identical in theme, format or other respects to that submitted by you. You acknowledge that, by submitting an Entry, Sponsor does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas, themes, or concepts previously known to Sponsor, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than you. Sponsor has the right to review all Entries and all Entries may or may not be posted on the Contest website or in any other media, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. By entering an Entry, entrants agree that the Sponsor is not responsible for any unauthorized use of any Entry by third parties. Sponsor is not obligated to use your Entry for any purpose, even if you are selected as a winner and reserves the right to take down any Entry for any reason at any time.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZE
We or our agent may review all Entries for appropriateness before posting them at www.skype.com/staytogether for public voting during the Entry Period. Website visitors will be invited to vote for the Entry they think best meets the Contest theme, “Stay Together.” Voting is limited to one vote per Entry per person/ipaddress per day. Multiple votes received from any person/ipaddress in excess of the voting limit will be void. Any vote obtained by any fraudulent or unsportsmanlike means, including providing incentives to voters, using any automated program to gain multiple votes, creating multiple identities, or any other methods based on our sole determination, will be void and the Entrant may be disqualified from the Contest.
Following the close of the Entry Period a panel of judges from Sponsor and their agent will review all eligible Entries and select one Grand Prize winner based on the following judging criteria:
- 30% Originality; was Skype used in a new or creative way to stay in touch?
- 35% Inspiration; would your Entry spark ideas for other Skype users?
- 5% People’s choice; how many votes did the Entry receive?
- 30% Theme; does your Entry best match the Contest Theme?
The decisions of the judges are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. If there are not enough eligible Entries received that meet the judge’s quality standards, we reserve the right to award fewer prizes than advertised.
(1) Grand Prize: The winner will receive a $10,000 United Airlines travel gift certificate and will be featured in a Skype Stay Together story (“Story”). Gift certificate must be redeemed within 5 years of prize claim or forfeited. Other terms and conditions apply. See http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/products/travelproducts/Pages/GiftCertificates.aspx for details.
Selected Grand Prize winners will be invited to co-create a Story based on the theme of their Entry, which may be used in Sponsor marketing and advertising materials. If invited, your participation in this experience will be governed by a separate agreement provided to invited participants. Subject to the terms of such agreement, you agree that the Story and all other content created in partnership with Sponsor will become the sole property of Sponsor and its marketing partners.
Potential winners will be notified via Skype at the Skype ID used to submit the Entry and/or the email address and phone number listed in the Skype ID profile within seven days following winner selection. If the notification is returned as undeliverable, or if no response is received with in the specified prize claim deadline, we may award the prize to the next highest scoring winner. Limit one prize per person. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the Skype ID used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, you (your parent / legal guardian if you have not reached the age of majority in your legal residence) may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability release, publicity release (unless prohibited by law), and tax documents (the “Documents”) within five (5) days of notification. If you do not complete the required Documents as instructed and/or return the required Documents within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate, randomly selected winner.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT ARE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING?
Your odds of winning this Contest depend on the number of eligible Entries we receive.
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS ARE YOU AGREEING TO BY ENTERING THIS CONTEST?
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Sponsor, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all claims, liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won; and
- That Sponsor’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
That by accepting a prize, Sponsor may use your Entry, your likeness and your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If cheating, a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to randomly select a winner from among all eligible Entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law and we may ban you from participating in any of our future Skype promotions.
HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT WHO WON?
For a winner list, send an email to email@example.com by September 20, 2013 with the subject line “Stay Together winner list.”
HOW DO YOU REQUEST YOUR SUBMISSION TO BE REMOVED?
If you would like to have your contest Entry removed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Request to remove story” and include your first name and Skype ID in the body of the email.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
Skype Communications S.a.r.l. 23-29 Rives de Clausen, L-2165 Luxembourg